Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Explosions and Cookies

So, here's something fun that happened, I figured out how to successfully use our over. We have gas ovens here, so to get the oven heated up, you turn on the gas and then use a lighter in a hole in the bottom to light it. Well, my friend Marc, needed to borrow our oven (since his ran out of gas) to bake a cake, so I turned on the gas. I didn't realize that it didn't automatically catch, and heat up. Marc came over about 20 minutes later. When we went to use the lighter, there was about 20 minutes worth of gas in the oven and well, add in open flame and what do you get???? EXPLOSION!!!!! Marc was the one using the lighter, and his arms got singed, but no one was really burned or anything. This happened about a week or two ago. Then 2 nights ago, I was at my friend Lucy's apartment, and she was going to bake cookies, but she'd never used the oven either. So, I, knowing what to do, said I would light the oven. Well, Lucy knew that for the stove burners you had to turn the gas on all the way, so she did that for the oven too, so, when I first tried to light the oven.....it EXPLODED!!!!!! I wasn't burned or even singed. It was super loud, and I just saw a huge thing of flame that was gone in an instant. I'll admit, I was scared, and didn't want to try it again. But, I turned down the gas to almost nothing, and then reached my arm in and stuck the lighter in the hole and lit the oven, without dying! I was really excited about the not dying part ;)
Oh, for the record, the cookies were absolutely amazing! They were chocolate chip, and tasted like a little bit of home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment