Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The little joys in life

I'm going to throw this out there, I have, hands down, the greatest paternal Uncle, ever!
***Note: I loved my Uncle prior to this, but this just raised him by ton of awesome-ness points

I got an email one day, from my Uncle Scott, asking if there was anything I had forgotten or anything I wanted from the States that I couldn't find here. Well, I, being the girl that I am, noticed that I hadn't been able to find any decent dark chocolate here. So, I told my Uncle, and without judging me, said that he would send some over for me with his friend who was coming to Amman. 

 I went and picked up the package/gift from my Uncle yesterday. It so totally made my day. First off, the hotel my Uncle's friend was staying at, was the nicest hotel I've ever been to. There were a bunch of fountains outside (and Jordan has a water shortage), and there was an automatic revolving door. There were security guards and I had to walk through a metal detector and have my backpack go through one of the scanner things, like at the airport, before I could actually go in. I was in school clothes with my backpack, and I felt so out of place. I got some condescending looks from some of the hotel workers. But, the security guys, and some of the older hotel workers were super nice and polite to me. The guy at the desk looked at me funny when I was so excited over the package, but I think he was a little amused, so if he got a smile out of my reaction, ehh, whatever, maybe it made his day too. Anyway, about this package, I was just expecting a few pieces of dark chocolate, and this is what I got: 

The guy working at the front desk handed this to me, and my eyes were huge when I picked it up

Fourteen bars of dark chocolate, yup, feel free to be jealous
Maybe it is a little mean to brag about what my Uncle sent me, but I mean, come on, who wouldn't? It is a pretty big deal.....at least to me it is.


It may seem like I"m blowing this out of proportion, but right now I'm half-sick and have pretty much been fairly miserable the past several days. **for those who have never been around me when I"m sick, I generally get really cranky, and my voice drops about an octave, so I sound very manly and can sing bass for a week or two**. So, this chocolate really was a bright spot for me. 



It amazes me at the joy we can find in simple, little things. It reminds me of the times I would take my nieces and/or nephews outside and one of them would find a leaf or a pine cone, or a "flower" (that was actually a weed) and they would be so happy with it. In some ways, I feel like a little kid here in Jordan. Not just because of my language skills, but also, this is my first time outside the US, and my first time living in a big city. So, everything is so new and a bit strange to me. I find myself enjoying the taxis, and the 'honking language' the drivers have here. Actually, it is the little joys like that, that make the tough things bearable. 
Me and my spoils



2 comments:

  1. Wow! When your uncle makes a promise, he really comes through! Have you tried the 90%? Does it even have any sugar in it?!?!?!?! Enjoy your treat and be sure to share or you'll be wearing those chocolate bars on your hips....if you could move it to your backside.....now that might not be to bad but it never works like that!!!love ya sis. oh ya, remember that eating too much sugar really lovers your defense system, so space yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOTHER!!!!!! I don't need reminders of where I'm lacking, and I don't need anyone who reads this to know either.
      Yeah, I wrote Scott a 'thank you' email.....and it turned into a short-story (it wasn't quite novel length).
      Don't worry, I definietly won't eat them all at once. My rooommates and I will probably make smores over our gas stove after our midterm next week or something. I'll try not to blow anything up ;)

      Delete