Saturday, November 10, 2012

Ajloun and Tell Mar Elias

Well, including today I only have four more Saturdays in Jordan. When I realized that, I was shocked, I felt like I had so much more time. Anyway, the weekends (meaning Saturday) is really the best time to do any trips. This weekend, we went up to Ajloun and Mar Elias.

Ajloun Castle





Ajloun is a crusader castle. It is smaller than Karak and Shobek, but I'd have to say it is more well preserved. The castle is located at the top of a hill (for strategic purposes), in the region Gilead. It is North-West of Amman, and a lot wetter and greener. No, seriously, you wouldn't believe you were in the Middle East, it looks more like Western Washington. It was gorgeous. Also, the weather was perfect for it. It was windy, and rainy. There was a foggy mist that surrounded part of the hills/mountains, it really was picturesque. 

One of the few times I've had to stoop to get through a door




This is the last defense of the castle. It is a space between the arches of the gate that they would pour boiling oil down. 

Lucy, me and Pat


When we were driving towards the castle, we could see the mist/fog on the mountains/hills, and I made the comment that it looked like a scene from Lord of the Rings, and that they were the "Misty Mountains". The rest of the time we were at the castle, we kept making LOTR comparisons. A lot of us even admitted that we felt like there should be orcs attacking. 


After that, we went to a place called Tell Mar Elias. This is traditionally, the birthplace of Elijah. There really isn't much to see there, it just has a great view. Actually, at the top of the Tell, there used to be a Byzantine Church, and the mosaic floors are still there, and have been excavated. There also were some catacombs that we went inside of.  We also saw a "Wishing tree". when you visit, you tie something on the tree, and make a wish. It was neat, and most of us found something to tie on.

The Wishing Tree

Because the region is all foresty, there is a Nature Preserve, unfortunately it was closed today. But, we pulled to the side of a road and were able to go exploring in the forest a little bit. It brought back memories of my grandparent's farm back in Washington.

Some more of the amazing signs here


The sun decided to come out....sort of


The ride back was pretty uneventful. The only significant thing is that it stopped raining and the sun came out. I've heard from a lot of people, that yesterday was the last day of summer weather, and now it's going to get a lot colder and rainier.....

3 comments:

  1. Well, we had a little bit of snow this morning so it is that time of year. I hope you found your gloves that I snuck in and that your leggings help you stay warm. Love your pictures and discriptions

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNOW! Already?!?!?!?!?!?! That is just so gross, I don't even have words to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, I would greatly appreciate it if my car has studs on it when I get home, just in case there is some of that gross stuff around for the two weeks I'm there.

    ReplyDelete