Saturday, November 3, 2012

"Educational Experience" part IV: Finding Nemo, Under the Sea

The Red Sea, at sunset
We spent our last day in the port city Aqaba, on the Red Sea. Jordan has about 34 Km of the Red Sea coastline. 
On the coast of the Red Sea

We got to Aqaba in the late afternoon, so we were on our own for dinner. We also were able to wander around the city. The hotel was maybe a 5-10 minute walk from the beach. 
This was one of the signs in the hotel, they want us to "Engoy our stay" 

Another hilarious sign, "smoke the hupply bubbly" 
The main shopping district was right around our hotel too. Aqaba is well known for its jewelry, but I didn't get any (something that I figuratively kick myself for). I did wander around the shops with some friends. Then I got some really good ice cream with a couple friends. 


Christina came to the conclusion that a picture of her eating ice cream in honor of her friend would make a great   souvenir

One of the guys saw this and said "Look at that Stud", someone gasped and he said "I meant the horse". 

The Red Sea in general is famous for its snorkeling. So, I and about 17 other people went out snorkeling the next morning. It was a lot of fun. The water was super clear and super blue. We were in glass boats, which meant that there was a glass panel in the bottom so we could see everything. 

View from the bottom of the boat. Oh, we did find Nemo a couple times. 



This building reminded me of the Space Needle, just shorter and fatter. It actually is a lighthouse. 


Such a pretty boat!
Knowing, that  odds were that I would get sick, I took dramamine before we left, and I really enjoyed it. I was able to actually look at the water and walk around without feeling sick. The boat had a canopy and the driver let us stand on the boat rails, if we held onto the frame of the canopy. 

Hangin' off the edge
So, I did get in the water, and I tried to snorkel. But, it really didn't work very well, I couldn't get the hang of it. So, I spent like 10 minutes in the water, then got back in the boat. Dil came with us and was babysitting baby Nadya while her parents were in the water, so I helped with her. 

Even though I didn't spend a long time in the water, the time I did spend in the water was great. Aqaba in general was super fun, and I wish we got to spend more time there. 
  Being out on the water made me wish Pappy was there 

That afternoon we came back to Amman, it was a five hour drive, and felt so long. The whole trip was a great experience. Now, we're at the beginning of week 11 (of 14). So we're on the downhill slide. We have our final at the end of this month, then we have our OPI, and we leave to spend two weeks in Israel on December 7th (about a month away), then we fly back to the States on December 21st. It is so crazy, my time here is almost up. Part of me is anxious to see my family and friends again, but at the same time, I don't completely want to leave.  

1 comment:

  1. sis, I guess you take after your mother as far asthe snorkling goes......in Hawaii I am sure that I swallowed about half of the ocean before I finally got the hang of it and then it was time to go!
    Enjoy your time while you are there. If you worry too much about coming home.. then you will miss the joy. Remember there is a time and season for everything. Love ya

    ReplyDelete